FACILITY GUIDELINES & FAQ
Host your next Celebration at the Al-Azhar Shrine Centre
RENTAL GUIDELINES & FAQ
- Menu planning, floor plans and final arrangements 1 month before.
- The Shrine Centre does not offer tastings but references are available.
- Meal price reduction for children 8 and under on buffets only.
- All food (except wedding cake) is to be supplied by the Shrine Centre.
- Menu changes, additions or variations are not available.
- Vegetarian or special diet restricted meals can be provided with advanced notice.
- Guarantee of numbers and further deposits required 7 days before.
- (100% of room/cerem. charges, bar corkage/host bar est. and food charges estimate.)
- Balance of payment invoiced and due within 30 days. Late penalties apply.
- Visa/MC payments can be made by phone 239-0030 during office hrs.
- Set up of decorations prior to function is determined by availability.
- No nails, staples, tacks etc. permitted. (Masking tape, wire string ok)
- Helium balloons may be done the day of the function only and must be properly weighted or secured.
- All street signage must be removed after function. Shrine Center provides directional signs front of building.
- The Shrine flags, trophies, pictures etc. are not to be moved or disrespected at any time.
- No hanging decorations on window treatments or ceiling in Lower Ballroom.
- Candles must be contained with the top of the flame 1½ inches below container (floating ok, no open tea lights or votives) one only in the very center of the table.
- Do not overcrowd tables (space for buns, butter, etc.). Table confetti is not permitted.
- Put all empty boxes under gift table or in coat room for use at end of night.
- The Shrine Centre does not provide extension cords.
- The Shrine Centre will not set up wedding cake, but will cut and put out later in the evening if required.
- (Best time to do ceremonial cutting of cake is immediately after toasts and before the first dance.)
- (Disposables are provided if late night snack is being supplied by the Shrine Centre.)
- Keep all boxes (cake, etc.) under gift table or in coat room for end of night pack-up.
- ALL DECORATIONS ARE TO BE REMOVED THAT EVENING OR IF RENTALS, PUT AWAY FOR PICK-UP.
- The Shrine Centre staff will set up and take down Centre white folding chairs.
- The call to set up inside (Main Floor – Fireplace Lounge or Lower Ballroom – Dance Floor) or outside must be made by the leasees at least 1 ½ hrs. before ceremony time or decision will be made for you.
- Please, no nails, tacks, staples etc. on gazebo.
- The Centre does not have a carpet runner for outside.
- The Boardroom may be available prior to the ceremony for the bride. (No charge if left clean)
- Ceremonies must be completed prior to 4:30 pm.
- Bird seed and confetti are not allowed but recommend flower petals or bubbles outside.
- The lagoon fountain is on a timer (noon to midnight).
- The outside is a natural amphitheater and sound does carry very well.
- Most J.P.s do not require amplification but if required must be arranged and handled by leasee.
- Power available in the Gazebo.
- Access to the lower outside area is by East outside stairs or if required passenger drop off area is accessed at West side of building.
- Pictures are permitted outside depending on availability.
- Guests are not allowed on the Shrine Mounted Patrol side of the lagoon or in Shrine Camping/Garage area.
- Options include Baker or Bowness Parks.
- Rehearsal times can be arranged 3-5 weeks prior to function depending on availability.
- We follow A.G.L.C. recommendations* for promoting responsible liquor consumption.
- As per liquor laws, home made products are not permitted.*
- Canned beer only please (due to storage space and outside access).
- No 55 beer packs please.
- No energy drinks on bar.*
- Liquor should be in 750 ml or 1.14l bottles only.
- Fruit is not provided for corkage bars. Corkage supplies as per BQ info.
- The Bar is restricted to some plastic bar glasses due to breakage.
- Bar staff will arrive one hour before bar open time to setup liquor requirements. They will leave after bar closes and clean
up is completed.
- Bar staff are not permitted to handle corkage bar cash sales.
- Bar hours – opening no more that 1½ hrs before dinner. Bar closed* during dinner to permit bar staff to handle table wine placement (not served), restocking, cleaning, etc.
- Re-opens usually after dessert or toasts at the M.C.’s announcement.
- All bars are self-serve (not table service) bars with Last Call starting at 12:00.
- Bar staff are paid O/T after 8 hours.
- Liquor is not permitted outside front doors or in the parking lot.
- Corkage bars must provide liquor permit and receipts when liquor arrives and these should remain with the liquor until it leaves that evening. Corkage bar stock & wine combined and packed for removal that evening.
- Smoking is not permitted in the building or on upper deck as per City Bylaws. Leasees may be subject to penalty if guests
are not cooperative.
- The Centre does not provide hi-chairs, booster seats, centerpieces, table numbers or stands, chair covers, overlays or table runners.
- Table cloths are provided (white or ivory) plus colored linen napkins (white, black, ivory, gold, green, red, & navy. (Not placed in glassware).
- Guest tables are round for 6 people (4ft) Main Floor and 8 people (5ft) Lower.
- Water is provided at the table for served meals. Buffet meals have a water station available at the bar.
- Please follow time schedule and avoid delays starting and during dinner or dessert buffets. (Late charges will apply)
- To avoid last minute line-ups at the bar, please have your M.C. announce bar closure for dinner at least 15 minutes prior to meal time.
- The Head Waitress will contact the M.C. prior to dinner to inquire regarding timing etc. and to advise as to procedures during dinner and dessert buffets. (It is recommended that one dessert be taken to start and then guests are welcome to return for seconds. This helps avoid wastage and improves selection for all.)
- Chocolate fountains are not permitted.
- The best time to cut cake and open bar is after the toasts as this offers guests the opportunity to take pictures and freshen up prior
to the first dance.
- If guest numbers dictate use of dance floor area during dinner it is recommended that the best way to increase dance floor area is to shift tables to the west end of the room at this time as well. (M.C. to announce.)
- If dimming of lights or temperature adjustments is required, please contact the Bar Staff for assistance. (Do not touch controls.) Keep all doors closed for best A/C.
- If any serious concerns or problems occur, please inform staff that evening!!
- DJ/Bands may set up the day of the function prior to your guests arriving.
- The Shrine Centre maintains control as to size of equipment and volume.
- Music must conclude before 1:00 AM.
- All equipment must be removed before 1:30 AM.
PARKING AND HOME TRANSPORTATION
- All parking is restricted to the main parking lot only.
- Drop off is available at the front door and the lower level.
- Overnight parking is permitted but the gates may be closed at the conclusion of the function and re-opened in the morning. No overnight RV’s please.
- Do not block fire lanes upper or lower at any time.
- Taxi numbers are posted by the phones on both floors. It is recommended that they be phoned before 12:00 AM to ensure a reasonable pick-up time. If calling a driving alternative company, please allow more time.
- Guests should be available at the front entrance for pick-up.
END OF THE EVENING
- It is the responsibility of the host to ensure that all decorations, liquor, gifts, entertainment, etc. and guests have been removed from the premises and grounds no later than 1:30 AM. The Centre provides all normal room cleanup. Host will be charged for damage or excessive cleanup.
Calgary Shrine Event Center
RENTALS & CATERING